Things I Like

  • Game of Thrones

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Onion Dyed Fiber

One more little fibery thing I wanted to post.  I had a rotten onion the other day that had been hiding under the sink. It didn't have any mold on it but was getting very soft.  So I threw the whole onion in a pot a simmered it for a couple of hours.  I mordanted the fiber in alum before putting into the dye pot and here are the results after simmering for an hour or two.

OK, I guess I have something else to talk about, now that I have your ear.  Today I went to Lambtown with my friend Christie. We had a great time but I spent way too much money.  I bought one of the new Nancy's Knit Knacks tilting lazy kates from Carolina Homespun. It's a very nice piece of equipment to add to my spinning tools (not that I need another lazy kate!).  The rest of the booty is fiber (like I need any more of that!).  I got some georgeous processed white alpaca (19 oz.), 4 oz. of white German angora, a braid of carbonated soy (dark charcoal gray), one braid of some beautiful mixed grays, maroons and teal greens (merino), 2 beautiful 4 oz. braids of Blue Faced Leicester & silk, and one of alpaca and silk.  But it was great fun I have to say.  This should hold me till next weekend at the CogKnitive Fiber Retreat in Tehachapi.

No comments: